Plante Moran, one of the nation’s largest certified public accounting and business advisory firms, has been named for the 16th consecutive year to FORTUNE magazine’s list of the “100 Best Companies to Work For”, which recognizes companies that have exceptional workplace cultures.
The firm, celebrating its 90th anniversary in 2014, has been named to the prestigious list each year it has applied. Winners were announced and Plante Moran is #23, the highest-ranking accounting firm on the list. The full list of winners can be viewed at Fortune.com/BestCompanies and will be featured in the next issue of FORTUNE, on newsstands Jan. 20.
“To kick off our 90th anniversary as a firm with the FORTUNE Best Places to Work Award makes this a truly sweet beginning to 2014,” said Plante Moran Managing Partner Gordon Krater, CPA.
Plante Moran had 978 staff when it first appeared on the FORTUNE list in 1999 and now has more than 2,000. Highlights of the firm’s workplace policies supporting individual and team development include:
- On their first day, new hires are assigned a team partner and an experienced colleague or “buddy” to encourage and sustain long-term relationships and promote professional development and personal satisfaction
- A Personal Tightrope Action, or PTA, Committee that researches and recommends programs and policies that address and support balance of life issues. Examples of PTA programs include a buddy program for first-time parents and on-site child care on Saturdays during tax season
- Firmwide volunteer initiatives through PM Cares, including paid time off to support community efforts
- A diversity council and several affinity groups, including an LGBT resource group
- A Women in Leadership initiative to attract, retain, develop and advance women into leadership positions across the firm
What’s particularly notable about Plante Moran’s 16th year milestone on the FORTUNE Best Companies to Work For list is that the firm continues to be a top employer while expanding its geographic footprint through organic growth, opening of global offices and conducting strategic mergers in Michigan, Ohio and Illinois. For example, the firm’s growth in the highly competitive Chicago market has been accomplished since 2004 through organic growth and two mergers. Plante Moran’s Chicago office is now its second largest and it ranks as the 8th largest accounting firm in Chicago.
“When Plante Moran considers strategic partners, we look for a firm that rewards and celebrates its staff and places a priority on a positive and sustainable firm culture,” said Krater. “That approach allows us to remain an employer of choice as we grow both our staff count and the depth of services we can offer our clients.”
About Plante Moran
Plante Moran (www.plantemoran.com) is among the nation’s largest certified public accounting and business advisory firms, providing clients with tax, audit, risk management, financial, technology, business consulting and wealth management services. Plante Moran has a staff of more than 2,000 professionals in 22 offices throughout Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, with international offices in Shanghai, China; Monterrey, Mexico; and Mumbai, India. Plante Moran has local offices in the following cities:
- Michigan: Ann Arbor, Auburn Hills, Clinton Township, Detroit, East Lansing, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, St. Joseph, Southfield (two offices) and Traverse City
- Ohio: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus and Toledo
- Illinois: Downtown Chicago and Elgin
About Great Place to Work
Great Place to Work® is a global consulting and management training firm specializing in workplace excellence and development of high-trust organizational cultures. Its proprietary research tool, the Trust Index© Employee Survey, is taken by more than 10 million employees in 45 countries annually. Leading companies worldwide apply its model to increase the levels of trust across their organizations and drive business results. Annually, Great Place to Work® produces the annual FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® list and the Great Place to Work® Best Small and Medium Workplaces list.